A creative use for a popular app
Can you setup a private live scanner feed in a “PTT” app for your smartphone? You bet you can!
Did you know you can use a free app to set up a live scanner feed?
How can you get started?
In this episode, Phil walks you through how to set up a live feed of your scanner radio using the free app Zello, including equipment you’ll need and how it compares to setting up a broadcast hosted on your own computer.
What You Need To Know
- Zello is a free app for your smartphone or other smart device that wasn’t originally built for the scanner radio hobby.
- Zello is a push-to-talk application that allows you to mimic the function of a two-way radio.
- It can be set up with “private rooms” where only one user can talk, or a few trusted users can talk, which makes it perfect for scanner radio broadcasts.
- There is almost no delay in the broadcast like there is with other online broadcasts.
- You can keep multiple rooms open at once.
- To broadcast your scanner, you need a Windows computer that’s always on, a wired Internet connection, a radio scanner with output through a patch cable, potentially an additional sound card depending on your setup, and a separate Zello account just for the live stream.
- Know what your audio input is.
- Turn on Vox and set the activation threshold and deactivation threshold.
- To listen to your channel, open the app on your phone and search for the group you’ve created.
- Phil has set up a Scanner School channel on Zello. Go to www.scannerschool.com/zello to get the link.
Links and Sources from this session:
- East Coast Pagers
- Be a guest on the Scanner School Podcast
- ProScan software
- Scanner School Club
- Ask Scanner School
- Scanner School Facebook Group
- Scanner School on Youtube
- Scanner School Instagram
- Scanner School Support
- USB Sound Card
Are you looking for your first scanner radio?
Download our new e-guide, “5 Thinks You Need to Know Before Buying Your First Scanner”. This free PDF is about 30 pages long and has 5 things you should look for, plus a few extra bonus items to make sure you make an educated purchase.
Follow us on Social Media
Join our e-mail list!
Stay up to date on all of our podcasts and tutorials.