Time is running out… and we must act to save WWV!
The 2019 annual budget for NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) decreased by $49 Million USD from the 2018 budget.
Due to the decrease in budget, the NIST has decided to pull funding for WWV, WWVB, and WWVH. This move will save NIST $6.3 Million USD.
What you need to know
WWV is one of the oldest radio stations in continuous use. They went on the air in 1920 from Washington DC, broadcasting the time 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
WWV, WWVH, and WWVB
- Broadcast the official US Time
- Broadcast Atlantic and Pacific Maritime Conditions
- Broadcast GPS Status Updates
- Broadcast geophysical alerts from NOAA
WWV, WWVH, and WWVB
- Are used by many radio operators to check band conditions
- Used by many to calibrate their receivers to make sure they are on frequency
- Used by mariners for storm updates
- Used by anyone who has a device that sets the time automatically from the “atomic clock”
Listening to WWV, WWVH, and WWVB:
- Operate on 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz
- Transmit 10kW on 5, 10, 15 MHz
- Transmit 2.5kW on 2.5 and 20 MHz
- WWV and WWVB operate from Ft Collins, CO
- WWVH operates from Kauai, Hawaii
- You may also dial in over the phone
- WWV receives 1M Calls per year
- WWVH receives 50k calls per year
How can we save WWV, WWVH, and WWVB
- Sign this petition online (www.scannerschool.com/savewwv)
- 100,000 electronic signatures are need
- As of this podcast date, only 16k are signed
- We need 83k more for the White House to respond
- Call your state congressperson
- Call your local government
- Call your state's governor's office
Please support the Scanner School podcast. Visit www.scannerschool.com/support to see how you can help us. Some of the ways you can support us won't cost you any additional money!
Links from this session:
Are you looking for your first scanner radio?
Download our new e-guide, “5 Thinks You Need to Know Before Buying Your First Scanner”. This free PDF is about 30 pages long and has 5 things you should look for, plus a few extra bonus items to make sure you make an educated purchase.
Follow us on Social Media
Join our e-mail list!
Stay up to date on all of our podcasts and tutorials.