Understanding Whistler's Object Oriented Scanning
PS – this is also for GRE and Radio Shack Scanners that support OOS.
What You Will Learn in This Week's Podcast:
Do you want to better understand object-oriented programming?
In this episode, Phil explains how object-oriented programming differs from just using a scanner with hard coded memory and also Uniden’s DMA memory.
What You Need To Know
- Object-oriented scanning allows you to create scan lists as small or as large as you need without wasting memory on your scanner.
- Memory space on a scanner is based on blocks, and trunking, talk spaces, etc., each take up varying numbers of blocks.
- Scan lists are thought of in object-oriented scanners as banks.
- These scanners have dynamic memory, where instead of programming a frequency twice in two separate scan lists, you are able to program it once in two locations.
- Trunking in object-oriented scanning requires separate lists for sites.
- When talk groups are assigned to a scan list that means the scanner recognizes them as an object and knows it needs to monitor it.
- Scan lists in object-oriented scanners can handle both conventional and trunk systems in the same list.
- You can mix and match analog and digital as well.
- Object-oriented scanners allow you to have v-scanners, which we will talk about on a future podcast.
If you need help with your scanner and are looking for some one on one tutoring, I'd love to help you out. Visit www.scannerschool.com/consulting to book your one hour appointment today!
You can help support Scanner School by visiting our support page at www.scannerschool.com/support
Don't forget to join us for our weekly net on Zello.
For info, visit https://www.scannerschool.com/zello
Links and Sources from this session:
Are you looking for your first scanner radio?
Download our new e-guide, “5 Thinks You Need to Know Before Buying Your First Scanner”. This free PDF is about 30 pages long and has 5 things you should look for, plus a few extra bonus items to make sure you make an educated purchase.
Follow us on Social Media