If you listen to the podcast, it’s no big secret that I give Baofeng and similar radios a bad rap.
Not surprisingly, I have a list of things I dislike about these radios.
But as shocking as it sounds, I have a larger list of things that are great about these affordable two way radios that many use as scanner radios.
What You Need To Know
- With Baofeng radio, you can mistakenly transmit anywhere in the band you are not supposed to transmit.
- One of the problems with the Baofeng radio is it's extremely slow scan rate.
- Another issue I have with them is that there are only six characters on display.
- With Baofeng units, minor firmware tweaks will prevent you from cloning radios.
- There is no AM mode in these units, and if you want to put in a couple of aviation frequencies, they will be received in FM mode.
- Baofengs can be programmed with free software.
- Many times, you can purchase a radio with the cable at little to no extra cost
- Voice Menus are the biggest perk of owning a Baofeng.
Are you looking for your first scanner radio?
Download our new e-guide, “5 Thinks You Need to Know Before Buying Your First Scanner”. This free PDF is about 30 pages long and has 5 things you should look for, plus a few extra bonus items to make sure you make an educated purchase.
Links and Sources from this session:
Follow us on Social Media